Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

How to determine bandwidth utilization on a Frame Relay link?

Hello Guys,

With the standard set of IOS commands at my disposal. What would be the way I could tell if I'm going over my Committed Information Rate on my Frame Circuit? Would the FECN/ BECN and DE packet ( from the "Show Frame-Relay pvc" command) count be the only thing I could use to baseline if I'm over utilizing the circuit?

2 REPLIES
Silver

Re: How to determine bandwidth utilization on a Frame Relay link

Hi ,

Yes,you are correct.You can also use "debug frame LMI". ("U ALL" will turn this off). This line will have the bw and a number on the end, similar to the exampl:

"Mar 1 01:18:18.819: PVC IE 0x7 , length 0x3 , dlci 980, status 0x2, bw 128000"

Below is the link where you can get detailed info of show frame-relay pvc.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios121/121cgcr/wan_r/wrdfrely.htm#wp1022425

Hope this helps you.

Thanks,

Satish

Purple

Re: How to determine bandwidth utilization on a Frame Relay link

You would have to know what the cir is to begin with . It then also depends on the bandwidth statement on the interface , is it set to the CIR or is it set to the burstable rate , a lot of people run well over the cir they are paying for . FECN and BECN's won't tell you if you are going over the CIR , that will only tell if it is getting congested at times .

Views
Helpful
Replies