Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

How to determine the root bridge for STP

hi forum,

my switches has only the following turn on when i first installed them:

spanning-tree mode pvst

spanning-tree extend system-id

now that if I want to configure STP & select the core switch as root bridge, will it affect the whole spanning tree, if STP recalculates will it cause all the connected devices to lost connection temporarily?

How do I confirm which one is the root bridge and use back the same root? Why it shows different priority for different VLAN for the root bridge, some 32768, some 32772?

Thanks & Best regards,

Paul

4 REPLIES

Re: How to determine the root bridge for STP

Hi paul!

As you said, if you select root bridge, it will affect whole spanning tree. After you define conre switch as a root bridge, a new stp calculation will be started on all switches...

You can use "Show spanning-tree vlan vlan-id"to see SPT entries... Also you can use 'show spanning-tree detail'

for more information on STP Configuration, check this out

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00800d84bb.html#23902

Pls Rate all Posts

Hi Zero,

my environment is life, but i have to make the changes. will it bring down my network if I do the STP changes?

for a life environment, what is your recommendation if i need to introduce STP into my network?

Best regards,

paul

Hi Paul!

Well, it will bring down your network for a while.

But it doesnt take too long (depending your network)...

You can find some info about STP Calculations on the following link...

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/rtrmgmt/sw_ntman/cwsimain/cwsi2/cwsiug2/vlan2/stpapp.htm

You can choose the best time to change STP settings... For example after rush hours...

Rgrds

Hi Zero,

Thanks much. my plants is running 24 hours, i hope it doesn't create a havoc, i have a AS400 running too, pretty sensitive.

I will take a look at the document, thanks much,

Best regards,

Paul

Views
Helpful
Replies