cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to do packet capturing on a Cisco 2621 router seriasl Int?

gmaccisco1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

i need to do some packet capturing ay a serail Interfcae on a Cisco router 2621 to see the BW utilization of a T1 line connected to this serial Intercae?

Can I do this with CiscoWorks LMS? or I need to do this using ACLs? can you please help?

Is there any other way to do this?

Thx,

Masood

4 Replies 4

jarathbu
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Packet capturing (e.g. Sniffer traces) for a WAN link (Serial with V.35 etc.) there are WAN Sniffers that you can attach in-line with the V.35 cable to capture data on the link.

To see bandwidth utilization you can see the load on the interfaces with the show interface serial x/y commands. To see a more timely average of the input/output packets/rate you can change from a 5 minute rolling average to a 30 second:

(config-if)#load-interval 30

Hope that helps.

Regards,

James

If it is bandwidth utilization you need to monitor, I suggest the use of RMON with SNMP. You wont be getting the contents of the packets themselves but you will get a fair idea of the traffic flowing thru it.

You could also consider using NBAR as an option.

Rmon concepts are better explained in

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1831/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00800ca66c.html

Thanks for the reply. Isn't RMON for the Ether Interfaces only? I want to see what is happening on a Serial Interface connecting a T1 line.

What is NABR?

Also, wouln't this be possible by using CiscoWorks LMS? (i really don't know of any way in Ciscoworks to achive this.).

thanks very much for your input.

is there any other options, like Access-list that can capture packets for a 5 mint period without risking the security?

Thx,

Masood

Thanks for your response. I like this load ratio option but how do I interprate the given ratio?

after changing the interval from 5 mints to 30 sec, do I have to change it back to 5 mints again?

Thx,

Masood

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: