Views
Helpful
Replies

How to find hosts connected in a Catlayst Switch

csaravanan
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a LAN made of Cisco Catalysts. I would like to find the hosts connected to specific ports in a switch.

basically I would like to know, which hosts are connected in my switch and in what port

5 Replies 5

Roberto Salazar
Level 8
Level 8

switch can find which port a certain host is connected to teh switch by "show cam " on CatOS or "show mac-address-table address ". The commands will tell you which port the host with this mac-address os connected.

You also can do a on IOS

show arp | include "ip address of host"

then show mac address-table | include "mac address"

csaravanan
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Thanks for the response. The problem I am facing is, I have a cluster of 40 switches and finding the mac-address and IP address of the system would involve me to go to an individual host find the IP address and then go to the main gigabit switch, get the mac- address and run sh mac mac-address-table on each switch to find out where it is connected.

Is there a tool or a command that would just let me know, which ports are active on a switch and which hosts are connected to those ports.

Hi Saravanan,

If your switch is configured with a management IP, you can telnet the switch from your place and can apply the above said commands.

Hope this should help you

Rajesh Krishnamurthy

Solarwinds makes a nice software toolset for various things. One of the tools is call "switchport mapper". It uses snmp to query your layer 2 switch for its mac addresses and your layer 3 device (switch or router) to match up the macs to IP and make a list. Then it does a dns lookup and lists the name next to the IP and port. You have to do it by vlan, but it's a very nice tool. You can the info manually of course, but this tool is slick.

the format is kind of funny. public@25 would querry the snmp name of public for all vlan 25 ports.

R Duke

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: