cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to get it to run?

phampton
Level 1
Level 1

I have configured two VLANs in my 2900XL switch and have assigned ports and IP's to them. We are in VTP server mode. The default VLAN works, the other one insists that it is administratively down and line protocol is down, all of its ports are also down. The 'no shutdown' command is ineffective. The only configuration difference I can find between the functional and non functional interface is the lack of bridge translation configuration, which it won't accept. I haven't yet been able to find anything in the TAC info that accounts for this. Ideas?

Thanks!

4 Replies 4

johansens
Level 4
Level 4

You are confusing the switch with a router. The IP-address in the 2900XL is only for management purposes. The only reason for making another VLAN interface is to put the management interface in the other VLAN (to make this work, you'll have to shutdown VLAN1 first and _then_ "no shut" the other VLAN).

To make another VLAN in the 2900XL, use the exec command "vlan database" and enter "vlan " to make it.

To assign a VLAN to a interface, go into if-config mode and issue "switchport access vlan "

Hope this makes it a little clearer.

//Stig

Okay, now I am baffled (I confess that doesn't always take much). I asked under the heading "multiple class c's on a switch" about being able to assign a group of ports to each of three networks, although perhaps I didn't phrase it clearly. I have a 24 port Catalyst 2900XL and three small networks, a LAN that needs four ports, a WAN that needs eight ports and my webservers that need twelve ports. All, by necessity, are on separate Class C's. Is it possible to configure the switch to allow me to use a VLan for each of the networks?

Thanks!

pat

Here is a config for 3 vlans on my 12 port 2900xl in my practice rack. I placed the Mgt port on vlan 10.

!

interface FastEthernet0/1

switchport access vlan 2

!

interface FastEthernet0/2

switchport access vlan 2

!

interface FastEthernet0/3

switchport access vlan 2

!

interface FastEthernet0/4

switchport access vlan 3

!

interface FastEthernet0/5

switchport access vlan 3

!

interface FastEthernet0/6

switchport access vlan 3

!

interface FastEthernet0/7

switchport access vlan 10

!

interface FastEthernet0/8

!

interface FastEthernet0/9

!

interface VLAN1

no ip directed-broadcast

no ip route-cache

shutdown

!

interface VLAN10

ip address 192.168.1.250 255.255.255.0

no ip directed-broadcast

no ip route-cache

!

Notice, you need a router to get between the vlans.

Regards;

Doug

Got it! And it works! Thanks!

pat

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: