cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how to get multi-hsrp standby state parameter with mib browser?

zhang-hao
Level 1
Level 1

The strange problem I met was that: I have several vlans configured on one 4507R switch, for each vlan I also configured HSRP. When I used Mib browser to contact the switch with different Vlan addresses to get related hsrp state values, I found I could get such results without full success, some vlans returned no results, it indicated timeout in mib browser. I use the remote snmp agent discovery tool to test those ip addresses, those timeout returns no result.

Somebody tells me to use the management address of the switch to get the hsrp state values for each vlans but do some modifications on community strings. I don't know which method is better and how i can solve the above problem.

Any advice is highly appreciated!

2 Replies 2

n.elms
Level 1
Level 1

You poll the switch management IP and use community string indexing to specify the VLAN number e.g public@10 uses "public" as community string for VLAN 10. Check this link for clarification:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_tech_note09186a00801576ff.shtml#topic1

Hope it helps.

-Neale

Thanks for your advice!

Yes, your idea is good, but by using the method you mentioned, I still cannot get value of some hsrp instance!

But later, i found the reason. It's due to the access-list configured on the vlan interface. You have permit the snmp traffic pass through the interface, otherwise no matter how you try, no value returns.

Thanks anyway!