Views
Helpful
Replies

How to identify Non Cisco devices on the network

mudassir
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have big LAN & WAN network with cisco devices.

and also i have non cisco devices connected to this network,

stcattered all over the network.

I want to identify this non cisco devices using cisco network.

Is there a way to identify Non Cisco devices on the network.

Regards,

Mudassir

2 Replies 2

deilert
Level 6
Level 6

for routers you can ping 224.0.0.2 , all routers on this subnet . , You must be on the same subnet.

dwallwork
Level 1
Level 1

Depends if you are talking all devices or just routing devices. Hopefully if you have a substancial network you have some network discovery tool to go with it. Regardless, I suggest you get a dump from your routers of the MAC address tables. Cisco device addresses are very common well known adresses starting with, for example C800... Once you have the dump you could sort them in an spreadsheet and hopefully make some sense of it. You would likely be able to quickly eliminate client machine addresses, for example. Perhaps they are all 3Com nics all of which would have a similar MAC. The MAC address is manufacturer specific and the registration prefix for a MAX is registered and publicly available information. Good luck.... curious to see other suggestions.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: