Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

How to prevent an Interface from shutting down due to excessive errors?

How to prevent an Interface from shutting down due to excessive errors on a CAT 3550. Apparentky there is a error detect cause all and error recovery cause all and some error timer commands. Which are the right sequence of commands to use, so that in spite of excessive errors an interface doesn't shut itself down?

See Log File of my router, I then manually did a no shut on Interface FA0/2/

Jun 20 09:40:35.600: %ETHCNTR-3-HALF_DUX_COLISION_EXCEED_THRESHOLD: Collision at FastEthernet0/2 exceed threshold. Consider as loo

Jun 20 09:40:35.600: %ETHCNTR-3-LOOP_BACK_DETECTED: Loop-back detected on FastEthernet0/2. The port is forced to linkdown.

Jun 20 09:40:37.600: %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface FastEthernet0/2, changed state to administratively down

Jun 20 09:40:38.600: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/2, changed state to down

Jun 23 09:36:01.784: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/2, changed state to down

2 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: How to prevent an Interface from shutting down due to excess

As far as I know, there is not an option to prevent the switch from disabling itself due to the collisions. You can configure the "errdisable recovery" command to allow the interface to recover from the error-disabled state without having to manually entering shut/no shut. Refer to the following links for more information:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/c2900xl/29_35wc6/cli/clicmds.htm#xtocid28

Re: How to prevent an Interface from shutting down due to excess

I would investigate why you are getting these errors. Looks like a speed or duplex mismatch on the link.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content