cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to properly connect/config redundant routers to redundant switchs?

dhaluza
Level 1
Level 1

I want to connect two internet edge routers with serial and dual FE ports to two switches for full redundant fail-over capability. Each of the two switches connects to one of the two LAN routers with HSRP for failover. The two internet edge routers will connect to two different SPs with BGP for multihoming, but that is on the outside serial interfaces, and is not relavent to this question. I want to know how to connect and configure the inside FE interfaces. The goal is to provide an architecture with no single point of failure--so either router or switch, or any interface or connection could fail without serious network impairent.

The two obvious chioces are to either connect each router to each switch, or connect each router to one switch and the other router. This seems simple enough, but when you go to configure it, it gets very interresting. The simple single connection HSRP model used for the LAN routers does not work because one SP is primary, and this router must still be reachable if either switch fails.

I have not been able to find a design guide on CCO that covers this topic. Does someone have a link to a document that addresses this?

2 Replies 2

7sboals
Level 1
Level 1

Each router will need a connection to each switch, and then you will need a tie between the two routers. This will allow you redundancy throughout (I use this setup in my Data Centers). Let me know if you need some more details.

Can't i just tie the two switches together (the routers only have 2FE). I do need more details, and was hoping for a document reference.