cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to recover a Catalyst 4912G

amitubale
Level 1
Level 1

I have tried to follow the Cisco Document " Recovering Catalyst 4000.....from Corrupted or Missing Software, or and Upgrade Faliure, or from ROMmon mode"

It suggestes teh use of port 'ME1' to boot an image of the tftp server.

I dont get a connectivity on the me1 port !!!

I have set the Ip addr, defaul gateway on the me1 port. I am not able to ping any devices.

Is there a way to switch on the me1 port ???

9 Replies 9

josh
Level 1
Level 1

try:

set interface me1 up

Hope this helps !

J

Nope its does not take the command.

deilert
Level 6
Level 6

You need to configure your interface to the proper vlan

Do I have to set Vlan on the ME1 port ????

If so, please send me the command to do that.

On the other end of the interface ( its a 3500XL-24) I have tried setting it up on the default vlan ( that is 1, ) and also the same vlan that is vlan 14 on with we have the tftp server, I did not get link lights on the me1 port.

set interface int vlan # ip address mask broadcast

I am at the rommon prompt and I tried your command syntax.....

it does not take it.

rommon 14 > set interface int vlan 1 141.218.22.185 255.255.255.0

Usage: set interface me1 [netmask [broadcast]]

Other data.

4912G status indicatoe is Amber color

PS1 indicator is green

I have connected a CAT5 cable betweeen the 3500-24 switch and the 4912G - 10BT MGT ( me1) port.

I am a tthe rommon prompt due to lack of software int he flash soI am trying to boot it from a image froma tftp server. According to Cisco documents port 'me1' should be active.

Sorry I did no realize you were in Rommon.

Look at this URL http://cco-rtp-1.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps663/products_tech_note09186a00800949c3.shtml#recoveringcat4000

The way I read this documnet is that you will not be able to ping.

What happens when you try a net boot ?

Is the image in the tftpdir of yout tftp server ?

I think the vlan stuff is a bit or a red herring. Just set ip address and default gateway if needed. As I read it, the doc proposed says that you do not need the tftp variable set in order to ping - in other words, ping should work if the port is set up ok. I suggest a bit of basic research:

1. check that the cable is ok

2. check speed & duplex settings at both ends

3. check that you can ping the tftp server from the 3500 switch

Good Luck

I have checked the cable..it works fine with other equipment

There is no way to set the speed and duplex on th me1 port in rommon mode.

I have tired all teh combinations of speed and duplex on the other side of the connection.

When I connect another equipment on the same port and same cable I can ping the tftp server and even download the img file.

..I still dont see link lights on the me1 port nor can I ping the tftp server after configuring the me1 port.

Please let me know if there is a way to use xmodem command in rommon mode so I can download the software in the Catalyst4912G.