cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to restrict 10mb bandwidth usage on 2960 interface

csco11103320
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to restrict bandwidth on specific interface which is connected to customer end router my intention is to allocate only 10mb bandwidth in cisco 2960 switch

Some existing configs as follows

#mls qos map cos-dscp 0 8 16 26 32 46 48 56

#mls qos

Kindly let me know how can i can configure under the interface by using srr-queue bandwidth command syntax either limit, shape or share

5 Replies 5

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

U can try this method:

-------------------------------------

To do so, go to Interface Configuration Mode on the switch port, and apply the srr-queue bandwidth limit command. Here's an example:

Switch(config)# interface FastEthernet 0/1

Switch(config-if)# srr-queue bandwidth limit 90

The 90 sets the outbound bandwidth limit on the port to 90 percent of the port speed. Since this is a 100-Mb port, this should limit the outbound traffic from the port to 10 Mb

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts.

Hi Sandeep,

I really appreciate your prompt reply apart from that if I need to increase more bandwidth in future likely to be  20mb in that case can I use numeric 80 instead of 90

Many thanks,

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

The best way to restrict bandwidth to 10 Mbps is to run the port at 10 Mbps.

Next best method might be to activate QoS is shape/police traffic at 10 Mbps.

Also for egress you could use the bandwidth limit command, as described by Sandeep, but be aware this bandwidth restriction is inexact.

Also when restricting bandwidth, be aware the feature you're using might not account for L2 overhead.  For example, to provide/allow 10 Mbps of bandwidth you may need to police/shape much higher than 10 Mbps and the L2 overhead, as a percentage, increases as packets size decrease.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Oh this is easy!

I'd do the way Joseph has recommended, set your interface to 10 Mbps and it's good as gold. Do not, by the way, set the duplex.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Nintendo App