cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

how to shutdown remotely catalyst 4000 in case of power failure

Hi

All our cisco equipments are connected to the UPS but the UPS backup time is 15 mts only in case any power failure UPS will send as SMS messgae before it goes down to alert the administrator.

In that situation how to gracefully shut down the catalyst 4000 switch remotely.

We have already remote dialin facillity to access the network.

Kindly advise me

Thanks

premkumar

6 REPLIES

Re: how to shutdown remotely catalyst 4000 in case of power fail

you don't need to gracefully shut down the cat4K. If you are parranoid about it not rebooting properly after power is restored, you can add boot statements to the machine to force it to use a cetain piece of software to boot and you can save the config to flash and force the switch to boot that config from flash incase the NVRAM gets corrupted.

Thanks for the info

But what the the problem we had is the power went down and UPS has given backup power up to 15 mts then all the blackoff

once the power has come i observed the cat4k module is amber light (orange)

faulty then finally we had replaced one of the module.

Is there any way to protect this type of problems Still i dont know what is the root cause.

Thanks

kumar

If the supervisor light went amber, it sounds like you lost the config or operating system, preventing it from booting.

Another possibillity is a power surge which fried the supervisor which means the switch would have went down before the UPS.

Were you able to console into it after the power came back?

If you couldn't get in to the console i believe you had a power surge.

Check if your UPS has a power filter or if it is only a battery.

Hi

Thanks for ur reply

After power came back still i can able to console to the cat4 only the moule is not working ( link is not up).

That means cat4 wont support for surge and also there is no surge protector in the cat4 is it?

Pls let me know i have to update my boss.

Thanks for u

premkumar

Along with a UPS just make sure you have a power filter as well incase of spikes/surges. Make backups of all your IOS and Configs on some external backup just in case. If you really wanted you can have a secondary catalyst incase of failure of the first. But thats going to extremes.

Bronze

Get a UPS with network connectivity and you can tell it to turn off the power on the plugs where the 4000 is connected. Problem now is how to turn it back on. The UPS will also need (or only) dialup up access through a console port. So you can get to it to turn it back on.

Another choice is to plug the 4000 into a clapper (!!!) and set a phone answering machine next to it. Call it up and clap off/clap on. (Just kidding)

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content