cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to suppress broadcast outbound on a switch?

jerry.marsh
Level 1
Level 1

I have a devices that is dying because of too many broadcasts (at least that's the claim). They want me to filter that physical port to which they are attached so that it does not hear them. It is not clear if the "storm-control" commands control inbound or outbound traffic and also if when triggered they filter only broadcast. Anyone out there know the answer to these questions? This is typically on a 2950 switch.

3 Replies 3

rjoseph
Level 1
Level 1

storm control on a c2950 controls inbound traffic only. if you set storm control only for broadcast, it will filter only broadcasts.

because of the inbound-only implementation, storm control may not help you, unless you connect the fragile device to an isolated c2950 and enable storm control on its uplink interface.

does that answer you questions?

I was afraid that storm control only impacted inbound traffic, as that would be the most likely scenario - inhibiting a poorly behaved or broken end station implementation.

I am glad to know that it would only "filter" broadcast if storm broadcast is applied only to broadcast.

Any solutions for larger switches (e.g., 3550, etc.)?

there is no feature on the 2950 or 3550 that will solve your problem. they are both constrained by their inability to filter outgoing traffic. you must use a 4500 or 6500 to use vlan acls or output port acls.

i would suggest connecting the fragile device to an empty 2950 and using storm control on the uplink interface.