cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to tell if static route is being used in IOS 12.1(13)?

jkeeffe
Level 2
Level 2

In a 7206 I initially use the default route to get to host a.b.c.d. Now I want to change that to a static route; i.e. 'ip route a.b.c.d 255.255.255.255 w.x.y.z', where w.x.y.z is the address that default route points to. (I have a reason for doing this.) I can ping a.b.c.d, but how can I tell if the static route is being used and not the default route ? Is there an IOS command that will show me, like an ACL or something?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

briapolo
Level 1
Level 1

The underlying principle here is that a more specific route will be preffered to a less specific route. Default route is used only when the router does not know about a particular network. In your case it sounds like it does, therefore, it uses a more specific route.

View solution in original post

j.stringer
Level 1
Level 1

type "sh ip route a.b.c.d" ..... if you get .....

Router#sh ip route a.b.c.d

% Network not in table

Then the default route is being used.

regards

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

briapolo
Level 1
Level 1

The underlying principle here is that a more specific route will be preffered to a less specific route. Default route is used only when the router does not know about a particular network. In your case it sounds like it does, therefore, it uses a more specific route.

MUSHER
Level 1
Level 1

TRACE XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

j.stringer
Level 1
Level 1

type "sh ip route a.b.c.d" ..... if you get .....

Router#sh ip route a.b.c.d

% Network not in table

Then the default route is being used.

regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: