cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

How to test WIC-1DSU-T1 ?

Hello!

Could anyone explain me how can I test two WAN cards WIC-1DSU-T1? Lets say I have not a connection to a service provider, but I have two NM cards in which I can install this WICs. If it is possible what cable should I use?

Thank you in advance.

Viktor.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Gold

Re: How to test WIC-1DSU-T1 ?

Here's the back-to-back cable pinout for a T1 cross-over that I use between external DSU/CSUs for testing:

5---------------1

4---------------2

1---------------5

2---------------4

I understand this is different from the pinouts in the Cisco document referenced in the preceding post (4 and 5 are reversed here, relative to Cisco's version). It may be that the DSU/CSUs I have been working with are able to auto-correct for the polarity or something. All I can tell you is that in my lab setup, using this cable pinout, I get a rock-solid error-free connection every time. So I never had a reason to question it. (Maybe I'll try Cisco's pinouts, just to see what will happen. I also have an old 2524 with the internal T1 interface, not WIC, we'll see what that does too...)

All you need is some Cat3 or better UTP cable, a couple of RJ-45 8-pin connectors, and a set of crimpers. (Although ideally, you should use RJ-48 connectors and STP cable. But that's not really necessary in this scenario, UTP works fine.)

Mine is actually a surface-mount wall jack (or biscuit) with two RJ-45 ports, and the cross-over wiring done inside. Then I just use regular LAN patch cables to connect to it. Think of it as a "passive T1 simulator".

Since I am not connected to the leased line to receive timing signals, I configure one of the DSU/CSUs to provide it. I don't remember how you would do this on the WIC-1DSU-T1, it's been a while since I worked with one of them, but it shouldn't be too difficult. Something about changing the source from "line" to "internal" comes to mind...

Hope this helps.

3 REPLIES
Bronze

Viktor,

Here is a link that explain's testing with a T1 loopback cable. This should be all you need.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/471/hard_loopback.html#lb_png

Daniel

Gold

Here's the back-to-back cable pinout for a T1 cross-over that I use between external DSU/CSUs for testing:

5---------------1

4---------------2

1---------------5

2---------------4

I understand this is different from the pinouts in the Cisco document referenced in the preceding post (4 and 5 are reversed here, relative to Cisco's version). It may be that the DSU/CSUs I have been working with are able to auto-correct for the polarity or something. All I can tell you is that in my lab setup, using this cable pinout, I get a rock-solid error-free connection every time. So I never had a reason to question it. (Maybe I'll try Cisco's pinouts, just to see what will happen. I also have an old 2524 with the internal T1 interface, not WIC, we'll see what that does too...)

All you need is some Cat3 or better UTP cable, a couple of RJ-45 8-pin connectors, and a set of crimpers. (Although ideally, you should use RJ-48 connectors and STP cable. But that's not really necessary in this scenario, UTP works fine.)

Mine is actually a surface-mount wall jack (or biscuit) with two RJ-45 ports, and the cross-over wiring done inside. Then I just use regular LAN patch cables to connect to it. Think of it as a "passive T1 simulator".

Since I am not connected to the leased line to receive timing signals, I configure one of the DSU/CSUs to provide it. I don't remember how you would do this on the WIC-1DSU-T1, it's been a while since I worked with one of them, but it shouldn't be too difficult. Something about changing the source from "line" to "internal" comes to mind...

Hope this helps.

Thank you guys for your answers.

This cable layout worked with two WICs installed in NMs:

5---------------1

4---------------2

1---------------5

2---------------4

I was able to ping from one card to another.

This layout did not work:

4---------------1

5---------------2

2---------------5

1---------------4

Viktor.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content