Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

How to: Upgrade the bootstrap software.

Many thanks in advance,

Can anyone tell me how to upgrade the actual bootstrap software. All I've been able to find is IOS upgrades.

Thanks,

Lee

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Re: How to: Upgrade the bootstrap software.

The command is "upgrade file rom tftp:///".  The router will ask you a rhetorical question and if you answer "y" the router will reboot, upgrade the bootstrap and reboot again.

When you are dealing with switches IOS, starting from 12.2(50), will automatically upgrade the bootstrap.  Like the router, once the switch detects a new bootstrap after a reload, the switch will upgrade the bootstrap and reload again.

Hope this answers your question.  Please don't forget to rate our post(s).  Thanks.

3 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

The command is "upgrade file rom tftp:///".  The router will ask you a rhetorical question and if you answer "y" the router will reboot, upgrade the bootstrap and reboot again.

When you are dealing with switches IOS, starting from 12.2(50), will automatically upgrade the bootstrap.  Like the router, once the switch detects a new bootstrap after a reload, the switch will upgrade the bootstrap and reload again.

Hope this answers your question.  Please don't forget to rate our post(s).  Thanks.

Thank you very much, but the syntax was backward with file and rom, but obviously no big deal. It was the upgrade command I needed and I thank you very much. 5 stars, but I did it too.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Whoopsie!  Sorry about that.  I don't have a router at home so I was just singing out the command by memory.    Thanks for the rating.

Views
Helpful
Replies