cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to upgrade/update IOS with used equipment for lab?

mndza2222
Level 1
Level 1

Hello I am about to purchase 3 2811 routers and 3 3560 switches, but I cannot figure out how I will update them to the newest 15.1 IOS. I am buying them used and I believe they have 12.4 on them, but I'm not totally sure. How can I put 15.1 on them without buying a service contract which costs a lot more than the actual hardware. These will be used for a home lab to practice for certifications.

Thanks for any help!

7 Replies 7

Zach S
Level 1
Level 1

Short answer: you can't!

Without a Cisco support contract there is no way for you to legally download the updated IOS's for your hardware.

What about purchasing an upgrade? Can I pay a smaller fee to one time upgrade the used items I want to buy?

If that is not an option, how do people buy  used equipment if they can't even update it?

I don't believe buying one off support is an option and the support contracts aren't cheap. When buying used equipment look out for the IOS specifically. If you get a 2811 ISR that's already running 15.1 (the last version released, since the product is EOL) then you have a legal copy of that IOS, for that device.

I appreciate all the quick responses. I guess this will be a little more complicated than I thought. I've been looking at websites that have labs for sale and lab parts. I guess I'll buy from them even though they cost more than what I found on Amazon.

I guess, it's a bit more complicated than that
Considering you bought that from Amazon e.g., the serial numbers of those routers you bought are not registered to your name

If you buy a router, the contract will be assigned to the one who originally purchased it haha
I would highly recommend that you call Cisco regarding this since, as far as I know, since the device is not yours, you will be required to buy a NEW router as well as a maintenance contract.

PS: Though if you ask to upgrade the NEW routers to v15 before shipment, then you can skip the maintenance contract.

Nope not possible, only way you can get a new firmware is through a service contract/smartnet contract w/c is gonna cost you XD

most of them do it illegally. Ie download of the internet/get it from a friend who is a cisco partner to avoid paying.