cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to upgrade/update IOS with used equipment for lab?

mndza2222
Level 1
Level 1

Hello I am about to purchase 3 2811 routers and 3 3560 switches, but I cannot figure out how I will update them to the newest 15.1 IOS. I am buying them used and I believe they have 12.4 on them, but I'm not totally sure. How can I put 15.1 on them without buying a service contract which costs a lot more than the actual hardware. These will be used for a home lab to practice for certifications.

Thanks for any help!

7 Replies 7

Zach S
Level 1
Level 1

Short answer: you can't!

Without a Cisco support contract there is no way for you to legally download the updated IOS's for your hardware.

What about purchasing an upgrade? Can I pay a smaller fee to one time upgrade the used items I want to buy?

If that is not an option, how do people buy  used equipment if they can't even update it?

I don't believe buying one off support is an option and the support contracts aren't cheap. When buying used equipment look out for the IOS specifically. If you get a 2811 ISR that's already running 15.1 (the last version released, since the product is EOL) then you have a legal copy of that IOS, for that device.

I appreciate all the quick responses. I guess this will be a little more complicated than I thought. I've been looking at websites that have labs for sale and lab parts. I guess I'll buy from them even though they cost more than what I found on Amazon.

I guess, it's a bit more complicated than that
Considering you bought that from Amazon e.g., the serial numbers of those routers you bought are not registered to your name

If you buy a router, the contract will be assigned to the one who originally purchased it haha
I would highly recommend that you call Cisco regarding this since, as far as I know, since the device is not yours, you will be required to buy a NEW router as well as a maintenance contract.

PS: Though if you ask to upgrade the NEW routers to v15 before shipment, then you can skip the maintenance contract.

Nope not possible, only way you can get a new firmware is through a service contract/smartnet contract w/c is gonna cost you XD

most of them do it illegally. Ie download of the internet/get it from a friend who is a cisco partner to avoid paying.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: