cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to VLAN routing by a Switch

fkseow
Level 1
Level 1

(1) I have a 3620 router with 3 ethernet ports meant for internal server routing purpose, say I have a subnetA (Class A) network , subnetB(Class B) network and subnetC(Class C) network at which each network is connected to each individual ethernet port of the 3620 by a switch, all my network clients are pointing to their respective gateway (ethernet port of 3620).

If I were to use a switch instead of a router in this case, what model of switch is suitable ? In terms of VLAN routings, how I configure the switch for such purpose ? Is there any configuration sample for the case ?

Please help out.

2 Replies 2

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you are planning to just replace the router, you can consider our Layer 3 switches such as CAT3550. If you are considering replacing all your switches and routers with one switch/router, you can consider a bigger switch such as a CAT4006 or a CAT6500. You can find documentation/configuration examples on CCO at

http://cio.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/index.htm

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/

Regards,

-Prashanth

donewald
Level 6
Level 6

What switch you would use and how it would be populated would be based on your port requirement (both number and type).

The 6500 Series Catalysts with the MSFC can do what your talking about.

This is how.

1. You'd create your VLANS A, B, & C

2. Assign appropriate access (user) ports to them

3. Session to the MSFC and creat and SVI (switched virtual interface) for each VLAN.

Interface VLAN (note that A would be a number corresponding to the VLAN ID)

ip add x.x.x.x

Interface VLAN

ip add x.x.x.x

Interface VLAN

ip add x.x.x.x

Hope this helps. There are many documents about the Catalyst family switches

that have Layer 3 (routing ) capabilities. The 6500 is not the only switch that can do this. Again, it will be based on your requirements.

Hope this helps,

Don