cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How works the switching and routing in 3750?

cjrchoi11
Level 1
Level 1

I want to know how the switching and routing engine operate in the 3750 L3 switch. separate or as signle?

for example, worm attack makes resource exausting in the routing engine and eventually clash the routing functionality. in this case, what happen the L2 functionality? still functional even not capable the routing such does in the 6500 SUP and MSFC?

my design goal is keep functional the L2 even problem the inter-VLAN routing. if it works as signle(switching and routing both clash in the case of worm attack), I need implement the inter-VLAN routing in the external router to run the L2 in the 3750.

Please advise.

1 Reply 1

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Hello,

If the 3750 CPU grinds to a hold due to a DoS attach, this will impact your L2 switching as well since this will impact the ability of the switch to deal with things such as STP BPDUs etc. You could ameliorate this by putting in some real tight control-plane policing etc... I'm not too sure if you can apply QoS service-policies to the control-plan on the 3750 but if you can, you can also use that to limit the amount of traffic hitting the CPU.

As you indicated, the cleaner solution would be to use a separate router for inter-vlan routing.

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: