Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP across two 6509's

gopal
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have two 6509's, with two Supervisors and Highavailability configured across the SUp's on a box and HSRP across the four MSFC modules. I have configured HSRP for load balancing, such that all ODD VLAN's have the primary router on one box and the EVEN VLAN's have the primary router on the other box...How stable is the solution, is it a recommended way....ir are there problems observed in the said configuration.

Rgds

5 Replies 5

sknorr
Level 1
Level 1

We have the same type setup, 2 6509's with MSFCs running HSRP between about 35 VLANs, Even's on one Odds on the other. I monitor network traffic with nGenius Traffic Monitor. I find that our 2 6509's with this type of setup load balance traffic extremely well.

bsivasub
Level 4
Level 4

This is a typical configuration and should work fine. Make sure that MSFCs in the same chassis have the SAME vlan interface defined otherwise it would be a "unsupported" config. Check the redundancy section of configuration guide for other requirements.

vsahagian
Level 1
Level 1

If you are running STP, align your even VLAN root bridge with your even primary HSRP path and same for odds. This keeps your layer 2 and 3 traffic together.

HSRP Pri

Root Pri

Odd Subnets

Odd VLANS

wteng
Level 1
Level 1

I want to know how to configure MHSRP?

should I set up 2 HSRP(one for ODD Vlan the other for EVEN Vlan?)or set up many HSRP for every Vlan?

Thanx Guys for the responses, I have done the configuration as I have said, but it is just that I had a hardware problem on the box and lot of responses during the troubleshooting said that I must have the primary router for all the VLAN on a single 6509 only and that the load balancing was not too good an idea.

Thanx

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: