Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

HSRP and DSL Router

Hello,

We have a Frame Relay network with CISCO 2610 Routers to manage our branches. We want to setup a backup network using the MPLS network of our ISP.

We would like to use mainly SDSL connection to this MPLS network with CISCO 837 router.

We want to setup the HSRP protocol for failover but we would like to use this MPLS network and setup load sharing with Hot Standby.

Will this setup (2610 and 837 routers) work?

If not, what is the minimum type of CISCO router to support Load Sharing with Hot Standby. I undestood that 2610 qualify.

Thanks.

Nicolas

1 REPLY

Re: HSRP and DSL Router

I'm not 100% sure here, but I don't think you'll be able to load balance using HSRP unless you're trying to load balance a number of vlans, which I doubt if these are branch offices.

You might need to look at the Gateway Load Balacing Protocol released after IOS12.2(15)T. This isn't supported on the SOHO 837 routers though.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1839/products_feature_guide09186a00801541c8.html#1027129

The biggest problem you might have is with MPLS and/or FR, it's quite possible the physical interface will not go down even though the path through your providers cloud is severed. HSRP will not detect this type of failure to my knowledge. It normally works best with carrier T1 type services where your physical interface will actually go "down" if there are connectivity issues. GLBP appears to track interfaces the same way, although I havn't physically used it yet and can't verify.

Unfortunaly I have a similar situation, but can't suggest anything that might be an effective solution.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content