cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP - determining active router

jeff.vargas
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone have any insight on determining the active router for HSRP? I don't mean how do you do it, I mean how would you determine active state for a group of 20 subnets? How would you go about determining subnet 1 should be active on router 1 and subnet 2 should be active on router 2? Is there any technical reasons I should consider?

Basically I have two 6500 distribution layer switches configured with a port-channel between them and they are connected to a bunch of access layer switches. I'm using HSRP on the 6500's. My first thought is to simply stagger the VLANS so lets say Vlan 10 is active on 6500 #1 and then Vlan 20 is active on 6500 #2 and so on.

5 Replies 5

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The common design is to have STP root and HSRP active on the same switch. Most networks I have seen have STP root/HSRP active for all Odd numbered VLANs on one core/distribution and the other core for even numbered VLANs.

So, if on switch 1 I have

spanning tree vlan 10,30,50 priority 8196

and

spanning tree vlan 20,40,60 priority 16384

Switch 1 should be active for vlans 10,30 and 50 and on Switch 2 vlans 20,40,60 would be active. Is this correct? Of course on switch 2 the statements above would be reversed.

Thanks,

Thats correct and once it is setup if it is a native 6500 it's easy to check with the show spanning tree vlan xx and then do a show standby brief.

Yes.. Assuming there are no other switches in the network with lower/better priorities.

Thanks guys. This is exactly what I needed. I'm trying to rate the post but it doesn't seem to be working. I'll keep tryting and thanks again for the info.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: