cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

HSRP Duplicate address

Hi,

There is two 4500 switches installed as distribution switches.

HSRP and .1q trunk has been enabled between these two switches.

access switches connected redundantly to these switches.

mistp has been configured for layer 2 loop avoidance.

I have checked native vlan and ip address configuration on both the distribution switches.

still it gives the error messages continuouly

"%HSRP-4-DUPADDR: Duplicate address 10.229.56.3 on Vlan151, sourced by 0013.c383.cebf."

what could be the problem.

Thank in advance.

Thanks & regards

Rajesh

7 REPLIES

Re: HSRP Duplicate address

Hi

Duplicate Address errors always related to some miconfiguration with the ip address on the interfaces.

i also did try the error message decoder which also proved to be same..

do find the same and find the recommended action to overcome this problem..

The IP address in an HSRP message that was received on the specified interface is the same as the IP address of the router. Another router might be configured with the same IP address. The most likely cause of this condition is a network loop or a misconfigured switch that is causing the router to see its own HSRP hello messages.

Recommended Action: Check the configurations on all the HSRP routers to ensure that the interface IP addresses are unique. Make sure that no network loops exist. If port channels are configured, check that the switch is correctly configured for port channels. Enter the standby use-bia command so that the error message displays the interface MAC address of the sending router, which can be used to determine if the error message is caused by a misconfigured router or a network loop

regds

Community Member

Hi Prem,

i have checked ip address for hsrp configuration and found all are unique.

i have checked with error decoder it is saying that it could be stp loop.

how will i conclude or check it is because of stp loop in the network?

Regards,

Rajesh

Community Member

Also, have you set spanning-tree priority on the hsrp primary as the root for that particular VLAN?

Community Member

Hi,

I have configured such a way that STP root and HSRP active router same for particular VLAN.

HSRP active and standby status looks fine for all vlan.

i am really confused what else we could think on this.

Regards,

Rajesh

Community Member

Do a show standby on both switches. This will show if the VLAN interfaces are in active or stanby mode. My guess is that both think they are in active mode. If this is the case, then I would suspect that the native vlan is the culprit and both vlan interfaces can not negotiate.

Community Member

Hello,

Most of the times HSRP duplicate address error is due to IP conflict in network.

Check you DHCP server scope, may be one of the IP address configured in your switches is included in DHCP scope, when the same IP is assigned to any host by DHCP switch will report duplicate address error. This is the very basic cause; check it. There can be some other reasons also.

Kapish

Community Member

The message means that you are using the same IP address in the vlan interfaces in the two swiches, so execute the show running-configuration command in the two switches to check the IP addresses.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content