cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP HELP

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all, im having trouble with my hsrp setup, I am trying to put in standby ip addresses on my interface so it reflects my current router addresses, the only problem is, its not letting me put in the subnet masks, i need to put in the 10.1.1.1/16 network for example and it wont let me, how do I get by this ?

thanks

6 Replies 6

gpulos
Level 8
Level 8

you do not use subnet masks in the HSRP IP statement.

it should look like this:

standby ip 10.1.1.2

so what am i to do about my config ? will it not let me do it then ? is there no way around this ?, does it assume the mask of the address ?

carl you can use your virtual ip address as the default gateway of you client...you can not assign the virtual ip address to your interface...and no subnetmask is there...

regards

Devang

can you explain, I have secondary addresses on my router interfaces, and pc's on the lan with different subnet addresses assigned all use this router as there default gateway by using the secondary addresses , what do I need to do in this case ? will it still work, or does it assume the subnet mask ?

Hi Carl,

In this situation if you have secondary address configured on your router interafce then you need to have hsrp standby address also in same subnet with secondary keyword and you do not need subnet mask for standby address because it will presume itself to be in the same subnet which is there for ip configured on physical interface.

Something like this

standby ip 10.1.1.2 secondary

Have a look at this link

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios122/122cgcr/fipras_r/1rfip2.htm#wp1096178

Appreciate if you start rating the post.

Ankur

vinodbharwani
Level 1
Level 1

I beliave you are using entire subnet of 10.1.1.1/16 at your network, and you required to put only on single virtual IP address 10.1.1.1 at "standby ip 10.1.1.1 " enough, not requre to put IP mask , also you can check with ? , after putting command" standby IP 10.1.1.1 ?"

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: