Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

HSRP in 1 Cat6500?

Hi All,

In Cisco's doc about 6500, there is a statement:

"To use HSRP, you must have one of the following configurations:

Two supervisor engines in a single chassis (redundant supervisor engines)---each supervisor engine must have both an MSFC and PFC installed.

Two supervisor engines in two chassis---you must have one supervisor engine, equipped with an MSFC and PFC, in each chassis."

So does it mean that the 2 supervisor engines are active in the same time? Because HSRP need two routers are active except there is 1 fail. But it seems impossible because I remember that just 1 supervisor can be active in 1 chassis.If I can do that, it's no use to config RPR because I can use HSRP in 1 chassis to load-balance for multiple VLANs.

Anybody knows about that? Thank you!

Best Regards

Teru Lei

2 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: HSRP in 1 Cat6500?

When using HSRP between MSFCs in a chassis, both MSFCs are indeed active. Note however that this is only at layer-3. If you're using CatOS at layer-2, for example, CatOS considers one Supervisor to be active and one standby.

Re: HSRP in 1 Cat6500?

So does it mean that in Native IOS of 6500, 2 supervisor engines in 1 6500 chassis can be active at the same time? I can not find the information in the web site. Thank you!

Best Regards

Teru Lei

Views
Helpful
Replies