cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

hsrp interfaces

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

when I configure hsrp on my router, I have got 2 interfaces on the router, do I need to set up hsrp on both interfaces or just the one ?

14 Replies 14

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Carl,

Depends on your requirement. As they are 2 different physical interfaces they will be in different subnets also.

So if you want to have redundancy and loadsharing for both the subnets or both the interfaces you can configure HSRP for both the interfaces on routers and if thats not your requirement you can go ahead with one interface.

What I mean to say is it is not mandatory that if you are configuring HSRP on one interface you have to configure on second interface but if you want redundancy for your second interface also you can have HSRP also for seocnd interface having another router interface working as hsrp peer for second interface.

Appreciate if you rate the post

Regards,

Ankur

so ankur as we have two interface(two link) on one router and had configure the HSRP on two router...now router with the two link had configured with the load balancing right...now i enable the HSRP on both the interface...now what happend when one interface will goes down...about that what ever i am thinking....

the other interface will take over the data transfer and standby router will remain in the same condition...right...

it means it will work as the normal loadbalancing nothing more ...right

or do u have any other benifit then please explain me...

regards

Devang

Hi Devang,

I think you have intercepted my post in different way. Actually what I want to say is the way we configure HSRP on a layer 3 switch for different logical interface or subnets same way we can configure HSRP on router for 2 different physical interfaces.

I mean if I have 2 subnets configured on 2 physical interfaces on same router they both can have HSRP for gateway redundancy but they need to have HSRP peer on some other router also.

I hope I am able to clear my point.

Ankur

Just to clear Ankur, I have a router with 2 interfaces both on different subnets, do I configure hsrp on both interfaces ? and do I put the priority to say 110 on both interfaces if I want that router to be active ?

thanks for your help

yes carl you can configure it...but it is better to make one router active for one group and other router active for other group...but lets wait for the reply of other

carl its really motivated for netpros to have rate the posts...

regards

Devang

Hi Carl/Devang,

Yes if you have 2 physical interfaces you can configure HSRP on both the interfaces. Both the interfaces should have HSRP peers on some other routers thats mandatory.

Concept of HSRP is that there is no active router but there is an active interface on a router. So you can configure a router in such a way that one interface one router is active for an HSRP group and another interface on same router can be standby for another HSRP group.

But yes if you want both the interface on same router to be active for thir individual HSRP group you can configure them with higher priority as in your case priority 110 and make both the interfaces them active.

Appreciate if you rate the post.

HTH

Ankur

story is there only and ankur is not going to reply carl/dewang both of you are creating confusion in writing i know both of you understand what HSRP is and how it works.

it gateway redundency protocol. it need atleast two DIFFERENT router so that you have physical as well as logical redundency. right if both of you are agree write agree

now designing part

one router having two interface in two different subnet ok configure HSRP wherever you want but second router must be there in that subnet to give you physical redundency right.

now suppose you have two router 1 with 1 interface and second with two interface that you can configure only one HSRP in comman subnet between two router ah ah ah right

can anyone confirm on this ?

thanks all

Hi Carl/Devang,

Yes if you have 2 physical interfaces you can configure HSRP on both the interfaces. Both the interfaces should have HSRP peers on some other routers thats mandatory.

Concept of HSRP is that there is no active router but there is an active interface on a router. So you can configure a router in such a way that one interface one router is active for an HSRP group and another interface on same router can be standby for another HSRP group.

But yes if you want both the interface on same router to be active for thir individual HSRP group you can configure them with higher priority as in your case priority 110 and make both the interfaces them active.

Appreciate if you rate the post.

HTH

Ankur

vladrac-ccna
Level 5
Level 5

Hello Carl,

I'm not sure I really understand what kind of configs you are trying to achieve.

HSRP is a first hop-redundancy protocol. It's used to provide a virtual IP to be used as gateway in a multiaccess media (ethernet).

so, you'd set hsrp to be used for 1 subnet in 1 interface and unless your second interface is also connected on the same subnet, there's no need to set up hsrp on this interface (with the same configs of course).

If this other interface needs hsrp (for a different subnet) then , yes you'd need to configure it too.

Please take a look at the following link, it will help you.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios124/124cg/hiap_c/ch20/haiphsrp.htm

And again, dont forget to rate the posts on the forum. It really keeps ppl motivated.

vlad

Here is my config

int fa0/1

ip address 10.1.1.1 255.0.0.0

ip address 172.200.1.1 255.255.255.0 secondary

ip address 172.200.2.1 255.255.255.0 secondary

ip address 172.200.3.1 255.255.255.0 secondary

int fa0/2

ip address 7.1.1.1 255.0.0.0

ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0 secondary

ip address 45.0.0.146 255.0.0.0 secondary

Question is

how do I set up hsrp for this router and both interfaces, I have an exact copy of the router case it goes down, !!

thanks all

I hope this is not a real confige with those huge network masks.

You will notice I used your current addresses as the shared addres and readdressed the interfaces.

This does not contain any of the priority or premept command you will need for HSRP just to keep it clear on the configuration

route 1

int fa0/1

ip address 10.1.1.2 255.0.0.0

ip address 172.200.1.2 255.255.255.0 secondary

ip address 172.200.2.2 255.255.255.0 secondary

ip address 172.200.3.2 255.255.255.0 secondary

standby 1 ip 10.1.1.1

standby 1 ip 172.200.1.1 secondary

standby 1 ip 172.200.2.1 secondary

standby 1 ip 172.200.3.1 secondary

int fa0/2

ip address 7.1.1.2 255.0.0.0

ip address 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0 secondary

ip address 45.0.0.147 255.0.0.0 secondary

standby 2 ip 7.1.1.1

standby 2 ip 192.168.1.1 secondary

standby 2 ip 45.0.0.146 secondary

router 2

int fa0/1

ip address 10.1.1.3 255.0.0.0

ip address 172.200.1.3 255.255.255.0 secondary

ip address 172.200.2.3 255.255.255.0 secondary

ip address 172.200.3.3 255.255.255.0 secondary

standby 1 ip 10.1.1.1

standby 1 ip 172.200.1.1 secondary

standby 1 ip 172.200.2.1 secondary

standby 1 ip 172.200.3.1 secondary

int fa0/2

ip address 7.1.1.3 255.0.0.0

ip address 192.168.1.3 255.255.255.0 secondary

ip address 45.0.0.148 255.0.0.0 secondary

standby 2 ip 7.1.1.1

standby 2 ip 192.168.1.1 secondary

standby 2 ip 45.0.0.146 secondary

story is there only and ankur is not going to reply carl/dewang both of you are creating confusion in writing i know both of you understand what HSRP is and how it works.

it gateway redundency protocol. it need atleast two DIFFERENT router so that you have physical as well as logical redundency. right if both of you are agree write agree

now designing part

one router having two interface in two different subnet ok configure HSRP wherever you want but second router must be there in that subnet to give you physical redundency right.

now suppose you have two router 1 with 1 interface and second with two interface that you can configure only one HSRP in comman subnet between two router ah ah ah right

thanks for your reply, Just to clear then, I have to assign both real and virtual ip addresses to the routers ?

thanks

Carl

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: