cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP -- is it possible to use different hardware

JUSTIN LOUCKS
Level 1
Level 1

I was wondering whether or not you can use to different pieces of hardware (i.e. a Cisco 3662 and a Cisco 3620 or even a 1750) to setup a HSRP for fault tolerance. I know that it is probably preferred to use identical hardware, but if I don't want to spend the money on another 3662 and just want to provide failover for a FastEthernet interface. Any feedback / alternatives would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Justin Loucks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

donewald
Level 6
Level 6

Justin,

Yes you can use any mix of HW to provide HSRP fault tolerance as long as it supports HSRP.. ;)

Hope that helps you out,

Don

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

DALE FRANCIS
Level 3
Level 3

Justin,

You should not have a problem with this at all, as the decodes i have seen do not contain device types, the only problem you would encounter is MHSRP, where certain controllers can not run multiple MAC's or instance's for HSRP groups.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/tech/tk648/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094afd.shtml#packetformat

donewald
Level 6
Level 6

Justin,

Yes you can use any mix of HW to provide HSRP fault tolerance as long as it supports HSRP.. ;)

Hope that helps you out,

Don

Thank you both for your responses. It's nice to know that there are numberous CCIEs out there willing to assist those of us who are just getting started...

raarons
Level 1
Level 1

Of course you can. No problem at all.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: