Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP issue

wim_depauw
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have an HSRP issue between 2 routers.

On Router R1 we see hello messages from router R2 and also that he is sending hello messages , but on router R2 we are not receiving any messages.

This causes that both routers think that they are active and only router R1 has a standby router.

We placed a cross-cable between the devices but this didn't help , also we placed no ip redirects and the no ip proxy-arp command on both routers but no luck .

When debugging we saw the following message on R2:

Feb 28 17:59:29.323: HSRP: Gi0/0 REDIRECT adv in, Passive, active 0, passive 1,

from R1

Does somebody have an idea what this means ? Did somebody have the same issue before ?

We configured the standby version to 1 but this didn't help also .

gr

wim

6 Replies 6

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

HSRP is quite robust so I do think it is likely that this is an IOS bug. A configurtation isuue is more likely. Without any config info, one thing that I can imagine is that both sides are perhaps not in the same hsrp-group?

What exactly do you mean with: "and only router R1 has a standby router"?

Regards,

Leo

Hi,

we tried with the following configuration

int gig0/0

standby 1 ip X.X.X.X

standby 1 preempt

standby 1 version 1

standby 1 priority 120

also we tried with the following configuration

int gig0/0

standby ip X.X.X.X

standby preempt

standby version 1

standby priority 120

And X.X.X.X is an rfc1918 adress?

L2 connectivity is appearently OK but are you sure that both routers are configured to be on the same IP subnet?

Regards,

Leo

Leo,

I'll give you the ip addresses can't do much harm.

R1 10.0.254.246 /24

R2 10.0.254.253 /24

standby IP 10.0.254.254

I can ping the routers , also from other stations , so IP connectivity seems to be ok.

gr

wim

Hello,

With the priorities being the same in the sample config you provided you're basing the active router based upon the MAC address assigned to the interface. You can ping from router to router to both the REAL and Standby IP address? You have ARP entries on both sides for the respective neighbor? Are these routers connected to other switches or just via a cross-over cable?

Have you tried removing the configuration then re-adding?

HTH,

Regards,

James

OK Wim,

As far as I can see you are not making any obvious misstake. You could try and check the routers feature set too verify that HSRP is indeed supported.

Otherwise, I looked up a document that explains about troubleshooting HSRP:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094afd.shtml

The document is about catalyst switches but still this might help you any further.

Regards,

Leo

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: