cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP Limitation

richard_tufaro
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all. Regarding the limitation in the 3550’s and the 6500’s (http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/168.html). I was thinking that this Is not much of any issue as long as the VLAN’s sharing the same group ID are NOT bridged.

Knowing this, im not going to count on a person NOT plugging in a dual homed machine and turning on bridging.

The only thing that I could think of to mitigate against the risk of that happening is to make a VLAN unique authentication string on all VLAN’s for HSRP (standby authentication Unique1). I figure then even if the VLAN is bridged they are not going to battle for control of the default route.

Does anyone else have any experience with this? Any caveats that people have run into when running into the 16 unique issue?

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

vinodmorsa
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Richard,

You can share same group id in more than one group. even when the inter vlan is enabled , there will not be any issue with the VIP.

Regards,

Vinod

The issue is when you bridge 2 VLANS with the same group ID. There is an issue. Its not an ID issue. Its a layer 2 bridging issue.

Richard,

Would you be able to elaborate on what the issue is?

Thanks.