Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

HSRP on SMDS interfaces?

does an SMDS interface support HSRP??

cant seem to find any mention of it anywhere. I know it is essentially just a serial interface with SMDS encapsulation, but i don't know enougth about the inner workings of SMDS to know if it would cause any problems.

what i essential need to achieve, is to have traffic to one particular host, not load balanced over the ressilient links, but still be ressillient. i cant turn on route caching as this is needed for the other traffic. what we have done in the other instance to solve this (over ethernet), is to set up a HSRP address for the routers and put a static route to the host via this address. This way traffic will allways go via the active router.

this is what i want to implement now, but this needs to be done on the SMDS interface this time.

This is not an enviroment in which i can just test it, so i need to findout whether SMDS supports it.

Thanks for your time!

1 REPLY
Cisco Employee

Re: HSRP on SMDS interfaces?

HSRP cannot be implemented on a SMDS cloud or interface. Your best option is to have an active/active loadbalancing schema so if one fails, then all of the traffic can flow over that other path.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content