Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

HSRP over three interface but two routers

Hi, I have Router A which is a 1720 with a Serial and BRI interface and I also have Router B which is a 1720 with ISDN interface.The serial in router A is connected to the leased line and is a primary line to connect to the FR network. The BRI in Router A is configured as a backup interface in case of a failure with the leased line the BRI supposed to dial to the FR provider's AS. My boss also wants to utilize Router B as a standby router to connect to the Internet in case of failures in both interface in router A. The only way I can think of is using HSRP, but I'm not sure which interface on router A that I should track because if I track the S0, the HSRP will make the router B to fire up and disregard the ISDN interface in Router A. Therefore if I track the BRI on router A, HSRP will always elect Router B as the active router since the BRI is down because it is configured as back up interface. Is there anyway I can meet the situation where the three interfaces backing up each other with or without HSRP ?

Thanks and Best Regards

1 REPLY

Re: HSRP over three interface but two routers

Tracking an interface only reduces the priority of HSRP. I would track the serial interface on Router A. If it dies Router B should take the default gateway and call into the SP cloud. I would then track the BRI on router B to demote it further than router A should it fail. It's messy but it works.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content