cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP problem

suhonlee
Level 1
Level 1

Got 2 routers configured with HSRP. 1st router (2612) is connected to leased line thru serial interface. 2nd router (1721) is connected as backup to ADSL line. 1st router is configured "standby 1 track serial 0/0:0" to track leased line outage and fire up 2nd router if necessary. What is perculiar to me is that when I disconnect the serial interface, and when i issue the command "show standby". I see that the *State has not been changed to Down* but the last line shows that the *serial0/0:0 is down*. Does anyone know why? Is it some hardware failure, IOS version problem or configuration problem?

It looks something like that.....

Etherent0/0 - Group 1

State is Active

7 states changes, last stage change 00:16:47

................................................................................

.................................................................................

.................................................................................

Parameter Interface State Decrement

Serial0/0:0 Serial0/0:0 Down 10

Thank you in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

you need the preempt keyword in the priority statement on the backup router. That allows it to take over by priority. The standalong preempt on the primary router lets it take control back after a LAN side failure. It may also need preempt in its priority statement so it can take back over after recovery from a WAN side( priority change) loss of control.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

donewald
Level 6
Level 6

HRSP state could be still Active, even if Serial 0/0 goes down if your priority, after the tracking decrement by 10 is still higher than your Standby HSRP router. For example, your primary router is priority 110 standby is priority 90. You track a WAN interface, as you are doing, on your primary. It goes down and your priority is decremented to 100. You would remain active since your standby's priority (90) is lower.

Hope this helps you,

Don

Thanks Don. But I configured my 'actual' Active router's priority to 105 and my 'actual' Standby router's priority to 100. (sorry that I didn't mentioned that in my first posting)

The "show standby" on the 'actual' Active router looks like this.....

Ethernet0/0 - Group 1

State is Active

7 State changes, last state change 00:16:47

:

:

:

Preemption enabled, min delay 0 sec, sync delay 0 sec

Active router is local

Standby router is 191.8.xx.xx, priority 100 (expires in 8.309 sec)

Priority 95 (configured 105), tracking 1 object, 0 up

Name Interface Parameter Decrement State

Serial 0/0:0 Serial 0/0:0 10 Down

Thanks.

you need the preempt keyword in the priority statement on the backup router. That allows it to take over by priority. The standalong preempt on the primary router lets it take control back after a LAN side failure. It may also need preempt in its priority statement so it can take back over after recovery from a WAN side( priority change) loss of control.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: