Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP Problem

sam-lee
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Does anyone know what cause the error msg below?

STANDBY-3-DUPADDR: Duplicate address 130.170.246.3 on Vlan8 sourced by 0014.1bc9.1400

4 Replies 4

eofelt
Level 1
Level 1

These messages specifically indicate that the router received a data packet that was sourced from the HSRP IP address on VLAN 8 with the MAC addresses 0014.1bc9.1400. Since the HSRP MAC address is nnnn.naan.nnnn, either the router in question received its own packet back or both routers in the HSRP group went into the active state. Because the router received its own packet, the problem most likely is with the network rather than the router. A variety of problems can cause this behavior. Among the possible network problems that cause the error messages are:

Momentary STP loops

EtherChannel configuration issues

Duplicated frames

(http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/62.shtml)

devang_etcom
Level 7
Level 7

hi sam...

duplicate address may be because of the loop in spaning tree...These error messages do not necessarily indicate an HSRP problem. Rather, the error messages indicate a possible Spanning Tree Protocol (STP) loop or router/switch configuration issue. The error messages are just symptoms of another problem.

In addition, these error messages do not prevent the proper operation of HSRP. The duplicate HSRP packet is ignored. These error messages are throttled at 30-second intervals. However, slow network performance and packet loss can result from the network instability that causes the STANDBY-3-DUPADDR error messages of the HSRP address.

for more information look at this link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094afd.shtml

rate this post if it helps

regards

Devang

Hello,

I had the same problem. I opened a case with Cisco and they admitted that it is a bug. It is not affecting the production right?

What version of IOS do you have because as long as I know it has been solved by the newer version.

The above is valid if your configuration is correct and not overlapping.

Rate this post if I could help,

Regards,

I am having the same problem and I opened a case as well. I am wondering what version of IOS on the MSFC is causing the problem.

We are running Version 12.1(11b)E4 ed

Do any know if this is running the bug that we are running into.

We checked with Cisco and we have no redundant links in our network so STP is not an issue

This issue happens every so often.

For Example the network will run for 2 weeks and then get the error then may take 3 weeks before we get the error again.

Thanks

Dorey

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: