Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP questions?

maller
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

I've some questions about HRSP.I'm working with 2 Cisco 3640 and each router has 2 PRI. My idea is to implement HSRP but I've this doubt:

With track HSRP if a PRI 1 goes down but the other PRI 2 in the same router is alright , the users connected to PRI2 can work normally?

Thanks in advance.

Manel

5 Replies 5

steve.barlow
Level 7
Level 7

Here is a link about HSRP: http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/ics/cs009.htm

You can configure HSRP to act either way, ie if pri 1 fails, don't fail HSRP over to the other 3640 (so pri2 users are uninterrupted/work normally) or you can have it fail over (pri1 and pri2 users now on second 3640). The way you do this is with priority and track commands. You can track both pri lines and assign a value to decrement the priority by so that if one or both dies it can force the failover to the other 3640.

Once the failover occurs, users pointing to the HSRP address (and they may be users of the dead pri1 and active pri2) will now point to the second 3640.

Users on the pri2 won't be stay on that line, they will be forced over to the second 3640.

Hope that helps and is clear.

Steve

Hi Steve.

Thanks a lot for your help.

I'll try to make a lab with HSRP

Hi,

You have to create two HSRP groups one for each PRI on each 36XX rtr.

36xx--1 rtr wil be active for pri1 and will track it priority decrement . and will switch over all activities reated to that pri ti 36xx--2 only . all other traffic for pri2 wil still fo through 36xx--1 and vice versa....

Lemme know if you need comfig as well.... I can send you a config lemme know ur Ips and setup ...

Regards,

Hi Ali.

Can you send me a sample configuration ? Is there any IOS version recommended to work with HSRP?

Thanks

Could you just send me a rough diagram of your setup .

will be very helpful !

My email is :

dan_schaw@hotmail.com

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco