Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP Redundancy Dual NICs...

christian.testa
Level 1
Level 1

HI,

Ive got a router within dual NICS to connect to two Cat6Ks for redundancy.

Would I configure HSRP to track the Fa0/1 interfaces on the router itself?

6 Replies 6

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

hi

Can you throw some more lite on the requirement and where you want to configure HSRP and a bit onto your current topology too ..

regds

Hello,

Its for a new site, where two 6Ks are function as the core with etherchannel between them for redundancy. Each router will connect into each switch via their two ethernet ports for redundancy in case one link or switch fails. I was wanting to know should I configure HSRP on the router to track its own Fa0 and Fa1 ports in case of failure. And whether I should have a /30 from the VLAN IP interface on the switches to the VIP on the router?

Or should the IP of the router be referenced by its loopback address?

Christian

HI Christian,

If I understand you correctly your fa0 and fa1 ports are on same router connected to 2 different cat6k switch right?

In that case you need not configure tracking for fa0 and fa1 failure. HSRP hello packte swill take care of it.

In HSRP the way you have designed you have fa0 on one router working as active and fa0 on another router working as standby if I am not wrong. Now HSRP hello packet will keep flowing between 2 routers via switch to tell which port on router is active and which is in stadby and once active goes down Hello packet will make the standby link on other router active.

Your 2 interfaces on same router does not work for HSRP active and standby for a particular group because you will not be able to assign same subnet ip address on one router on 2 different interface. It is always like one interface on one router having hsrp running between one interface of second router routers which work as active and standby for a group.

Coming to your /30 ip address range will be a problem because for HSRP to run you should have atleats 3 ip address in a subnet. One for each physical interface on each router and another for virtual ip address which in all is 3 and /30 range mask give you liberty to have only 2 ip address.

HTH

Ankur

Hi Ankur,

So I have the router with Fa0 and Fa1 connected to separate Cat6Ks. Do I configure separate subnets on each interface and track commands on the router. Or should they be VLAN ports with the IP on the VLAN interface. I'm a little confused here sorry.

Thanks

Hi Christina,

You have to have a different subnet on 2 different interface of the same router as router will not let you enter same subnet on 2 different interface on same router and will result in overlapping address error message.

Read this HSRP doc and it will clear your many concepts

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/ics/cs009.htm

This will guide you about the tracking optiosn and whole story abour HSRP.

HTH, If yes please rate the post.

Regards,

Ankur

Hi Christina,

You have to have a different subnet on 2 different interface of the same router as router will not let you enter same subnet on 2 different interface on same router and will result in overlapping address error message.

Read this HSRP doc and it will clear your many concepts

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/ics/cs009.htm

This will guide you about the tracking optiosn and whole story abour HSRP.

HTH, If yes please rate the post.

Regards,

Ankur

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: