cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP Track interface problem

chrismorris
Level 1
Level 1

I have HSRP configured on two routers, and they both track their BRI interfaces. When the BRI goes down the active router stays active instead of changing to the standby router. The stanbdy values are 5 away from each other and are told to decrease by 10 when their BRI interface goes down.

Is it possible to track a BRI interface with HSRP?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Tracking BRI interface would not work.

Since BRI interface is always in Spoofing mode for routing purpose. It never goes down even if the line is down, unless and until you administratevily shutdown the interface.

so HSRP process find the BRI inteface up, inspite you disconnected the line.

If you shutdown the BRI interface, HSRP will find that interface as down and would decreast the priority value as you define.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

aslam
Level 3
Level 3

Have you configured the standby group using the PREEMPT option ?

e.g. standby 1 preempt.

Please refer to this document:

How to Use the standby preempt and standby track Commands

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094e8c.shtml

Hope that helps

Aslam.

Yes both routers are configured to preempt. I can't find any examples on cisco.com showing the "track" command being used with BRI interfaces, only serial interfaces.

They should be the same as serial just substitute your serial int with your BRIx/x .

I am tracking bri0/0, however when the ISDN cable is physically disconnected the HSRP priority does not decrease. The ISDN shows layer 1 as being inactive, but BRI0/0 remains up as it still sees a signal. Any ideas??

Hi,

Tracking BRI interface would not work.

Since BRI interface is always in Spoofing mode for routing purpose. It never goes down even if the line is down, unless and until you administratevily shutdown the interface.

so HSRP process find the BRI inteface up, inspite you disconnected the line.

If you shutdown the BRI interface, HSRP will find that interface as down and would decreast the priority value as you define.

This is correct.

Not applicable

Hi , there is a command option " standby track dialer option , how does this work ? THe dialer interface also stays up ....