Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP Troubleshooting

o.oresotu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm presently implementing HRSP btw 2 cat 6509 (each having 1-sepervisor engine with MSFC2) switches with inter-vlan routing btw 10 vlans. However, the hosts on the vlans get frozen when the primary switch fail-over to the second switch.

What do you think is reponsible and how could i resolve this problem?.

5 Replies 5

rjackson
Level 5
Level 5

What switch are the frozen pcs on, the primary and/or the failover? Are the users using the standby address as their gateway? How are you failing over?

The PCs are on the vlan Switches connected to both the core and failover with separate fibre cables (STP enabled). The users are using the addresses on the primary switch as their gateway. The same configuration are on both primary and core switch. The failover is through HSRP btw the two switches. The Core switches fail-over but the host on the vlan switches were frozen and not able to get to the servers on the fail-over switch until i reset the vlan switches. Even the reset only made the PCs to be released of the frozen but could not get to the servers.

Could you post some of your configration on your vlans? You use the standby ip command? How have you configured STP?

Regards

// Fredrik

DO you have port fast enabled on the seitch ports that are connected to the clients ofr the server ?

By enabling this the ports directly connected will not perform spanning tree calculation , the takes approx 40 seconds , You only want to cinfigure this on ports attached to PC's or server , never ports attached to other switches or routers.

Users should be using the standby address (shared address) as their gateway. In hsrp each router has an address in the vlan and they share the standby address. Make sure the users are pointed at the address in you standby commands.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: