cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP using 2x6509

fcatalao
Level 1
Level 1

Our network is as follows: 2 6509, each with 2 SUP1A and 2 PFC/MSFC1.

Each rack (edge switches) has two 1000BaseSX backbones, one to each 6509 configured as trunks using DOT1Q.

At the moment our network is working without that redundancy between 6509 supervisors.

My question is as follows: is it tecnically correct to connect the two 6509 Sup1A to SUP1A using trunking (redundancy?).

In some documention, it is to my undestanding that it should not be done as to avoid spanning tree problems.

Thanks

3 Replies 3

londint
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have seen almost the same scenario as your site and they have 2 uplink between the 2x6509 and trunking and dot1q are configured and there has been no problem with spanning tree loops.

Thanks

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It's a valid design. Can you point us to the documentation you are referring to?

Look at:

"Example 3—Double Chassis with Dual Supervisor Engines and MSFCs"

on page 22-32 in document

"Chapter 22 configuring redundancy" it mentions " Because there is no Layer-2 loop, HSRP is used for convergence and load sharing."

My question is; can I use this exact type of configuration but use two trunk links between the sup1A´s of the 6509´s?

Regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: