cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP

cz96p6
Level 1
Level 1

I am configuring HSRP on MSFC. I have a question that if I assign same HSRP group number on more than one subinterface what would be the disadvantages beside that it works.

7 Replies 7

wdrootz
Level 4
Level 4

According to the docs, identically numbered HSRP groups use the same virtual MAC address, which might cause errors if you configure bridge groups.

j.chenevey
Level 1
Level 1

another issue is that if if all interfaces are in same group & the standby priorities are also equal (i.e. 2 interfaces at priority 105), the vlan interface with the lowest (or highest?) IP address will be the next successor. I've seen this situation on one occastion, so it is best to have each vlan interface assigned a unique group number (0-255).

Thanks. Thats what I tought too

bender.mike
Level 1
Level 1

I too have a question regarding HSRP...We have a pair of 7507's running HSRP on the E0/0 int. All of our LAN devices are configured with a gateway of the HSRP address.

We're seeing traffic coming through the standby E0/0 interface. How would this occur?

HSRP only allows devices to use a virtual IP address to send data *to*.

Reply data could come from either (any) HSRP interface on the LAN depending on your implementation of routing protocols or static routing.

Outbound data could also go through a "standby" interface if sent by a server, router, or some other device that utilizes a routing protocol rather than just a default gateway pointing to the HSRP ip address.

Mick.

Understood, but these are MS Exchange servers on the LAN that the (2) 7507's support, so no unusual routing protocols are implemented.

I'm curious because we are implementing a policy route on the E0/0 int. to push this Exchange traffic down a particular PVC off the active HSRP router, so traffic shouldn't be going to the standby router at all on the LAN, correct?

With the exception of normal NT broadcasts, ARPs, and HSRP Multicasts, you shouldn't have anything going in on that interface if all of the devices on the segment are using the HSRP IP address.

Note: HSRP sends out multicasts every 3 seconds by default.

Mick.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: