Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP

systemseng
Level 1
Level 1

hi all & happy new year to u all.

i am gonna use two Layer 3 switches, gonna configure hsrp and OSPF on them. I want end user PCs to connect directly to those L3 switches. Question is, do i have to use a third switch in order to make HSRP work? or without using a third switch, an uplink between two switches would be enough for HSRP?

i appreciate any help, tx in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mheusinger
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

HSRP requires L2 conectivity between the two routers (or L3 switches). So HSRP would work in case you have a trunk between the Switches for all VLANs with HSRP required. A third switch is not nessessary.

What I would recommend to read is also:

Understanding and Troubleshooting HSRP Problems in Catalyst Switch Networks

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094afd.shtml

Hope this helps

Martin

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

mheusinger
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

HSRP requires L2 conectivity between the two routers (or L3 switches). So HSRP would work in case you have a trunk between the Switches for all VLANs with HSRP required. A third switch is not nessessary.

What I would recommend to read is also:

Understanding and Troubleshooting HSRP Problems in Catalyst Switch Networks

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094afd.shtml

Hope this helps

Martin

tx martin.

williamwbishop
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings fellow sadikhov'er

ananddiwakar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

A very happy new year to you

Are you going to connect PCs direcly to L3 switch modules. In this scenario, say if one L3 fails (power supply failure) then, even if HSRP keeps running betn two L3 switches, your PCs will not have any redundant path to the other core. So anyway the PCs will loose network connectivity.

You can use an access switch to connect PCs and then youcan provide uplinks to each core from this access switch

Hope this helps

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: