cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

HSRP

Hi,

How can i test HSRP function in a lab environment between two catalyst switches 6500 series.any idea would be appreciated.

Thanks

3 REPLIES
Community Member

Re: HSRP

Hello

HSRP is protocol running on layer three.You can configure one vlan interface and their hsrp parameaters on the two of the C6500 .when you are sure that the hsrp is operational by issuing show hsrp,you can conncet a pc in the vlan and ping the hsrp standby ip address.Now you can disconnct the active hsrp c6500 and wait for the standby router to take over the role of the active router.your pc shall has just a few pacekets drop during the HSRP switches.

Green

The "standard" way to show that would be to have a switch on both sides of an HSRP router pair.

Plug a PC into in the switch on the protected side, do a constant ping (from WIndows: ping -T X.X.X.X) from that PC to another PC on the other side of the router.

Fail the link (like, unplug it) on the primary router, and see how long it takes for the Ping to restore. IF you have it set to recover back to the original primary router, reconnect the "failed" path and watch the Pings.

You can enhance this by using Hubs and a Sniffer or other analyzer or monitor on the "failing" links.

Good Luck

Scott

Community Member

Hi,

Thanks for the info..when i check the show standy command,i see the following output

Active router is unknown

Standby router is unknown expired

is HSRP functioning properly,or is it due to a physical connectivity problem.

Thanks.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content