cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP

muhammad.hanif
Level 1
Level 1

I am configuring HSRP on MSFC. I have a question that if I assign same HSRP group number on more than one subinterface what would be the disadvantages beside that it works.

6 Replies 6

adignan
Level 8
Level 8

I would recomend using a different group number on each interface. I have run into to problems when I used the same group number for every interface.

You'r right and I'm recomending it too. But, I need to provide the disadvantages of have same HSRP group number on different sub-interface of MSFC. If you or any one help me i'll be thankful.

MickPhelps
Level 1
Level 1

The only disadvantage I've ever had was with debugging. Its easier to see the different group numbers and that they relate to a specific VLAN.

Other than that, it shouldn't matter.

Mick.

mike.harlow
Level 1
Level 1

Some hardware (6500?) wont handle more than 16 groups. I have 60 vlans, so I had to use the same group number in each vlan interface on the MSFC2.

I think groups are more targetted for "router" groupings. i.e. if you have routers A B C D, then use group 1 for all HSRP interfaces shared between A & B, use group 2 for all HSRP interfaces shared between B & C et al.

I have 6509 with 23 HSRP groups. Having a same group for two HSRP group mean same MAC address for both of the HSRPs.

Does, not it make any performs issue.

Hi Hanif,

We have 6509 (Core) and multiple 3560 (Distribution) in our environment. And configured dynamic routing EIGRP is running on Core and Distributions. We have also configured transparent FWSM between core and distributions.

We want to add another 6509 with FWSM for redundancy.

Can you help us?

we have posted some plan at following post.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3244455#3244455

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: