Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

HSRP

Hi

I have basic question about HSRP.

whats "standby bia-use" for? especially, on the ethernet.

thanks

3 REPLIES

Re: HSRP

Hi

In HSRP the routers use virtual mac-address which is taken from the well known mac-address value.

It also depends on the group numbers if you have configured different groups out there for load balancing in your network.

BIA stands for burned in address

by keying in this command under your ethernet you are telling the router to use its own mac-address to be used as the virtual mac-address..

regds

Hi

thanks for answering.

lets assume that i use bia instead virtual-address with mutiple groups on ethernet, what dose it make difference compare to using virtual-address.

and what if i use single group...

thanks

Hi If you use bia instead of the virtual mac.. as pointed out by Prem, the router will use its ethernet mac address for the arp request from the hosts.

I would see the use in one case that if you are using port security on your switch where you have your both the routers connected and in that case if the virtual mac is learned on one port and you router goes down but the secure table still has your mac in its table.Now when the host makes and arp request again for the gateway and the new active router will send its virtual mac as the reply. Now this MAC is already on the switch's secure table and it will put the port connected to new router into error disable statr. If you have tis kind of situation you can use " standby use-bia" command to come out of this situation.

If you are using a single group, the only negative point is that you cannot do the load-balancing whihc is done in case of multiple HSRP groups. Moreover it is easy to manage and troubleshoot the multiple HSRP group.

HTH,

-amit singh

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content