Helpful
Replies

hsrp

pankcepanou
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

Could someone clarify me which router

becomes active when several routers with different HSRP priorities are just powered up and no "preempt" enabled?

(On cisco's book i found that the first activating HSRP on its interface becomes the active, on cisco's site i have found a state diagram which illustrates that we have to move from "listen" state to "speak" state when "active timer/standby timer" expires and stay in this state until "standby timer" expires again(which implies that can hear other routers with higher priority than ours).

Thanks a lot

Pano

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Pano

If several routers are boot at the same time they do listen for each other and the router with the highest priority will become the active router. After the routers have selected the active router if another router is booted which has a higher priority (but does not have preempt configured) then the active router remains the one originally selected and the new router with higher priority will only become active when the current active router becomes inactive (goes out of service, etc).

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Pano

If several routers are boot at the same time they do listen for each other and the router with the highest priority will become the active router. After the routers have selected the active router if another router is booted which has a higher priority (but does not have preempt configured) then the active router remains the one originally selected and the new router with higher priority will only become active when the current active router becomes inactive (goes out of service, etc).

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hello,

Thanks

Regards

devang_etcom
Level 7
Level 7

in HSRP router with the higest priority will become a active router and other will become a standby router...and if you have multiple router and they boot simultaniously then also the router with the highest priority will become a active router...

regards

Devang