cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k
sk

HSRP

1> I have two routers with one isdn line on each router.

i want to configure one router as a backup router that is

when one of my isdn link goes down the other router should

take over.

2> I have one leased line on one router.i want to configure another

router which should act as a standby when that first router goes down.

i cannot afford to have another leased line.what can i do

plz reply at

pravash@skinternational.com

3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: HSRP

Need to see the following debug when the dialer string is changed and try to callout....It will give us information about which part of the call is not working

debug dialer

debug isdn q931

debug ppp authentication

debug ppp nego

term mon

Pl. make sure that for both the line, "sh isdn status" reports as documented at

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/129/bri_sh_isdn_stat.html

Also here is the url which discuss the troubeshooting layer 3 issues with bri line

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/471/isdn_q931_ts.html

Thanks..Tejal

What you can do is configure hsrp have the router with the leased line act as the active router and also put your track statement on the leased line . This way when the leased line goes down the backup will become the active router and the other isdn line will kick in.

hth

dennis

Hi.

You should track the leased line under the HSRP process on the active router (the one with the leased line). You should also have some routing protocol running between the routers on the lan that connects them, configured in a way that the backup router prefers the path through the active router instead of using its own isdn interface. The backup router should have a floating static (default) route point to its isdn interface. Hopefully, when the main WAN (leased line) link goes down the active router will decrease its priority and the standby takes over. At the same time the standby router should loose its preferred path through the former active router and its isdn kicks in due to the floating static. I almost forgot one thing... The active router may also need a default route with higher admin distance pointing to the standby router, just in case there are some hosts that are using the real ip from the active router instead of the HSRP address.

Hope this helps.

NM

P.S.: if your leased line is using Frame-Relay you have extra work to do...

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content