cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HW Compression router connected to Software Compression router ??

james.chan
Level 1
Level 1

We have a hub-and-spoke environment with 4xT1 WAN links and we want to turn on the compression on these links. Thus, the Hub router will have a very high CPU loading with Software cmpression. So, I am thinking of adding one compression acclarator to off-load the main CPU.

So, the Hub router will trun on HW compression and the spoke router will trun on Software Compression. Is it possible ?? Thanks.

James Chan

3 Replies 3

bourse
Level 1
Level 1

Sure. I've tried this in a lab environment. Had a 3660 with the AIM compression card and a 3620 router using software compression.

jsawick
Level 1
Level 1

James,

I am not sure what router you have at remote ends.

Routers with AIM are OK, but on remote ends you can software compress to about 256kbps above that you could have CPU or latency problems.

We have tested various methods and hardware in central site to software in remote is OK, but at speeds above 256 you would be better off using hardware on both ends.

james.chan
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for your suggestions. But how did you conduct your testing and measure the latency ??

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: