Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

iBGP, eBGP, EIGRP ?

I have a scenerio where we have a network with a single Internet connection.

I have a Cisco router on the Edge running FULL BGP (yes, I know, ... not wise but soon enough will be implementing a secondary connection to a different ISP).

At the moment I have another Cisco Router (Internal) that distributes all traffic to the different areas of my Internal Networks.

We are interested in implementing a secondary internal router for redundancy to route users over to it in the event that the primary Internal router fails.

Facts:

1) We are using Cisco router at the edge (3662) running full BGP and have static routes to Internal Networks

2) We are a using Cisco router at the distribution area (screening router) to connect to the Internal networks DEFAUL GATEWAY setup plus Static Routes to Internal networks.

3) The internal routed networks are a mixed of Cisco and Intel based devices and we are running STATIC ROUTING across the board.

I've through this and there are only a couple of things I can come up with:

1) Is running EIGRP from the screening routers to the edge router. If I set up my static routes on the screening routers and redistribute them into BGP at the edge router, the failure of either screening routers will flush the respective routes and send everyone running to the survivor... right?

Any other thoughts??? (I understand that I would have to setup passive interface, etc., and of course HSRP)

2)Is running iBGP on both Internal routers, redistribute BGP into my IGP (if I run any) and setup HSRP between the screening routers !

Any thoughts... anyone do anything like this before? Is there any other simple solution that I am missing? Should I consider a career change?

Thanks in advance!

LRE

1 REPLY

Re: iBGP, eBGP, EIGRP ?

I have done a network that sounds similar.

First, there are many ways to do something like this, and all have advantages. What I look for is simplicity and proven solutions.

I would run OSPF on all routers. If your network is small enough, having one area is an advantage. Otherwise, multiple areas allow for summarization.

On my BGP router, generate a default route with the default originate always command. Do not redistribute BGP routes into your IGP. Unless you are a transit system or at least multiple ISP routers, the routes really have no value. Do not use HSRP in the core if you run a routing protocol, its for edge routers or static routes.

My experience is that this kind of design has good fail-over and is very stable.

AS for a career change, I have been looking for a Bait Shop in a resort for a while. :)

Regards;

Doug

Views
Helpful
Replies