Helpful
Replies

ICMP

vinoth.kumar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Reply from 10.10.10.14: bytes=32 time=20ms TTL=123

The above reply is got while we tried to ping one of our server i would like to know the what it define of time=20ms and

TTL=123

can u explain the above point and let me know what must be the time difference for good connectivity

regards,

Vinoth

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

bvsnarayana03
Level 5
Level 5

As the PING communication packet travels across the network, whenever the packet passes through a router or other network device, TTL (time to live) decreases by one. it is possible, in the most severe cases, for the TTL to drop to a value of zero and then the packet is discarded by the router. In most cases, you can see that the TTL information can be used to determine approximately how many router hops the packet has gone through. TTL does not count the same device twice in standard traffic flow.

The third thing the PING utility provides is the number of milliseconds it takes to get a reply. what this actually represents is an indication of the round-trip time to get a packet to/from the remote device. Again, the response is shownin milliseconds.

View solution in original post

It is generally a factor of speed & load on link. For LAN it is <10ms, for WAN varies from 30ms to 65ms, & some mpls networks it is 165ms.

I read somewhere, a response time of <200ms is considered to be good.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

bvsnarayana03
Level 5
Level 5

As the PING communication packet travels across the network, whenever the packet passes through a router or other network device, TTL (time to live) decreases by one. it is possible, in the most severe cases, for the TTL to drop to a value of zero and then the packet is discarded by the router. In most cases, you can see that the TTL information can be used to determine approximately how many router hops the packet has gone through. TTL does not count the same device twice in standard traffic flow.

The third thing the PING utility provides is the number of milliseconds it takes to get a reply. what this actually represents is an indication of the round-trip time to get a packet to/from the remote device. Again, the response is shownin milliseconds.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply

I would like to know the average millisecond for the good connectivity

since we are getting the 20 to 30 millisecond when we pinging to some server

Regards,

Vinoth kumar

It is generally a factor of speed & load on link. For LAN it is <10ms, for WAN varies from 30ms to 65ms, & some mpls networks it is 165ms.

I read somewhere, a response time of <200ms is considered to be good.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: