Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Idle Timeout with Rotary Groups

I have a 3640 with a PRI running IOS 12.2.12a. The relevant config is below and it is WORKING.

What I want to know is if there is a cleaner way to specify the Idle timeout for ISDN users when using rotary groups?

I tried using: "ppp timeout idle 1800" on the Dialer interface but that did not work.

Eventually I had to use: "dialer in-band" and then it allowed me to enter "dialer idle-timeout 1800" but surely it is not correct to be specifying dialer in-band for ISDN connections?

interface Serial2/0:15

description ##### CONTROL CHANNEL FOR PRIMARY RATE ISDN #####

no ip address

encapsulation ppp

ip mroute-cache

dialer rotary-group 1

isdn switch-type primary-net5

isdn incoming-voice modem

isdn sending-complete

priority-group 1

no cdp enable

interface Dialer1

ip unnumbered Loopback0

encapsulation ppp

no ip mroute-cache

dialer in-band

dialer idle-timeout 1800

dialer load-threshold 25 either

peer default ip address pool RAS

priority-group 1

no cdp enable

ppp callback permit

ppp authentication ms-chap pap

ppp multilink

multilink max-links 2

multilink min-links 1

multilink load-threshold 2 either

• Other Network Infrastructure Subjects
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Bronze

Re: Idle Timeout with Rotary Groups

Technically, you are not specifying in-band dialing for ISDN interfaces, but for the Dialer interface, which is a virtual interface that utilizes the physical ISDN B channels. IOS refers to the signaling from this virtual interface to the physical interface as inband signaling.

I hope this clarifies.

Mark

Cisco Employee

"ppp timeout idle xxx" command is designed to be used specifically on vtemplate/vaccess interfaces, this command is appropriate for virtual-profile configurations where a vaccess interface is always created for a user, and virtual private dial-up network (VPDN) home gateways where the projected interfaces is always terminated on a vaccess interface. And as the name suggest, ppp idle timer dosen't reply on interesting traffic. So with that any ppp packets will reset it.

While "dialer idle-timeout xxx" is a DDR command to be used under the interface tied with a physical interface. So isdn interface (tied with dialer interface) is a physical interface which is DDR enabled (dialer in-band) by default. So you need to use "dialer idle-timeout xx" to apply a concept of intereating traffic (which can be defined).

2 REPLIES
Bronze

Technically, you are not specifying in-band dialing for ISDN interfaces, but for the Dialer interface, which is a virtual interface that utilizes the physical ISDN B channels. IOS refers to the signaling from this virtual interface to the physical interface as inband signaling.

I hope this clarifies.

Mark

Cisco Employee

"ppp timeout idle xxx" command is designed to be used specifically on vtemplate/vaccess interfaces, this command is appropriate for virtual-profile configurations where a vaccess interface is always created for a user, and virtual private dial-up network (VPDN) home gateways where the projected interfaces is always terminated on a vaccess interface. And as the name suggest, ppp idle timer dosen't reply on interesting traffic. So with that any ppp packets will reset it.

While "dialer idle-timeout xxx" is a DDR command to be used under the interface tied with a physical interface. So isdn interface (tied with dialer interface) is a physical interface which is DDR enabled (dialer in-band) by default. So you need to use "dialer idle-timeout xx" to apply a concept of intereating traffic (which can be defined).

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.